Pages


Sunday, August 1, 2010

A time to plant, a time to reap.

I'm getting tired of saying "OK, change of plans." but that seem to be how it always is. The only thing constant is change.

A few months ago we took our first road trip in the van since we Demetri was born. A long weekend to visit family in Asheville NC. The trip went well but felt very rushed and forced. I was pretty tense the whole way down because I was in quick-have-a-good-time-before-its-too-late mode. There isn't nearly enough travel in my life these days and it tends to make me a nervous wreck about the rare moments when I am able to get away. Plus, travel is my time to share the most important things in my life with the most important people in my life. Not getting to do that often enough dosn't make me a happy camper. Infact, it usually dosn't make me any kind of camper and thats the problem.

At any rate, the coming fall is looking like it will be pretty intense work-wise. Major building projects and an abundance of side jobs won't leave much time for road tripping. Thats frustrating spiritually, but it looks like it could be a fairly comfortable winter financially. Plus it will help me save up for my new van.

New van?!?!

Yea, thats the (latest) change of plans in my personal vanning world. The Casual Turtle 5 has endured 29 years of mistreatment at the hands of the previous owner and 3 years of driving the hell out of it and not being able to afford the repairs it needs by yours truly. It's got plenty of miles left in it, but it's in pretty bad shape. Major rust issues on the body thanks to the p.o.'s pop rivet repairs that just trapped more water in, the constantly malfunctioning electrical system, and the aging motor mean quite a bit of time and money to get it where I really want it. So, the Casual Turtle 5 will become a full time work van to replace WorkingClass Zero which met it's fate this past winter. Out come the cozy bits and in go racks and parts bins. I plan on trying to leave the folding couch in there in a less obtrusive position so that it can still be taken camping if the opportunity presents itself. Then, come winter, the hunt will be on for a candidate to become (regal trumpets sounding) The Casual Turtle VI!

OK, so I have been through a few vans in my time.

I have learned much from each of my vans and a fairly complete picture of exactly what I want out of a traveling van is established. This next van will be dedicated to travel only (and some cruising too) and will not have to make sacrifices in the name of being a commuter or work truck. The new layout is well underway and maximizes space while providing comfort and openness. This will be the van built with the express purpose of making those big trips and taking us across, and out of, the United States. It seems like it's forever away for someone who so badly wants to leave tomorrow but I have a chance to do it right from scratch, so I will just dream (and plan) for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment